Exciting News! The Texas Legislature passed a new law, which took effect on Jan 1, 2022 permitting buyers to file for homestead exemptions in the same year they purchase their new homes. Previously, homeowners had to wait until the next year to file for
How Does the Exemption Benefit The Homebuyer?
- Homestead exemption protect a portion of their home’s value from taxation, lowering their taxes.
- Additional exemptions are available for owners aged 65 or older or who are disabled.
- To qualify, the homeowner must be an individual, not a business, and use the home as their primary residence.
- Homeowners must submit an Application for Residential Homestead Exemption and supporting documentation to the appraisal district in the county where the property is located.
- Other exemptions may also be offered from cities and special districts.
Visit the Texas Comptroller’s Residence Homestead Exemptions FAQ site: www.comptroller.texas.gov
If you have any questions, please call me at 817-952-9000.